The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has confirmed that more than 20 fighters linked to ISIS/ISWAP were killed during a series of coordinated air strikes carried out by Nigerian and United States forces in Metele, Borno State.In a statement released on Monday, the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, said the operation was launched after security forces detected the movement and gathering of terrorist elements within the area.
According to the DHQ, the latest offensive forms part of ongoing military efforts aimed at dismantling terrorist networks and preventing insurgents from establishing safe havens anywhere in Nigeria.The statement noted that the operation followed the earlier elimination of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki.“The ongoing operations follow the neutralisation of ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki and are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield, and deny terrorists any safe haven within Nigeria,” the statement read.
The military also reaffirmed its commitment to protecting Nigeria’s sovereignty and ensuring the safety of citizens across the country.“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security, and territorial integrity of the nation. Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities, and national stability will be located and defeated. There will be no safe haven for terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” the DHQ added.Meanwhile, the United States Africa Command (US AFRICOM) also confirmed the joint operation on its official website, describing the mission as “kinetic strikes against ISIS in Northeastern Nigeria.”According to US AFRICOM, the strikes were conducted on Sunday in coordination with the Nigerian government after intelligence reports confirmed the targets were ISIS militants.“Complete assessments are ongoing. No U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed,” the statement said.
The command further stated that eliminating the terrorists would weaken the group’s ability to plan attacks against both local communities and international partners.The development comes days after former US President Donald Trump announced that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as ISIS’s second-in-command, had been killed during a complex joint mission involving Nigerian and American troops.Trump shared details of the operation in a social media post early Saturday, praising the collaboration between both countries’ forces.

