The Federal Government has said that the 4.2 million pounds loot linked to former Delta State Governor James Onanefe Ibori is yet to be returned to the state contrary to widely circulated reports that it had found its way back into the oil rich state.
A statement yesterday in Abuja by the Director of Information, Press and Public Relations in the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation, Henshaw Ogubike said: “The money is still being awaited, after which the issues around it will be resolved before further action is taken. For now, no money has been returned to Delta State”.
The statement explained that “the issue of the £4.2 million Ibori loot has not been properly resolved”.
Alluding to the Accountant General’s statement to the National Assembly on Tuesday that the alleged Ibori-linked loot had been returned to the state government, Ogubike said: “The AGF was only making general comments about recoveries relating to state governments.”
The Delta State Government on Wednesday, May 26 denied getting the funds.
In a statement yesterday in Asaba, the state capital, by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor, Mr. Olisa Ifeajika, the state government said it was in contact with the Federal Government, especially the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation, on the matter.
It expressed appreciation for the disposition of the Federal Government in releasing the funds to the state and assured that it would acknowledge receipt of the funds when it comes.